Monday, March 02, 2009

More of Me in Poetry

Today's Link
Cookie Monster's Diaries

Today's Saying
The middle of the road is a dangerous place because those on the left and the right have such lousy aim when throwing rocks. Dr. John

Picture Of the Day
Alex Playing Canasta

WARNING!
This blog entry contains material that may be offensive to people who love the English language and great poetry. It could cause major discomfort. You have been warned.

It is time to share a bit of me with you. Of course you want the real me not the Super Hero fantasy me.
The real me never drinks anything with alcohol in it while the fantasy me in his secret identity is a drunk. ( Figure that!)
The fantasy me has a magic staff and can even change the weather. The real me is stuck with snow.
The fantasy me would know great incantations.The real me has decided to inflict another piece of drivel upon you.
That’s right I am writing another poem.
This one is not an apology.( I’ve been extra nice to Betty)
It is not written because I think I’m a poet. Goodness me no! I know drivel when I read it.
I even know drivel when I write it.
This poem is for the sake of mental health, my mental health.
I can no longer take the SNOW.
I want it GONE NOW.
But that is not likely to happen so rather than screaming and banging my head against the wall I am writing a poem.
Here it is:

A Word to Snow
Your ostentatious cloak
Flows across my back yard
Your egregious banks
My driveway still guard.

Like the hermit in the cave
Apanthropinization came to me
With a paucity of humankind
Tis only thee I see

I grant you're grandiose
Extravagant and stupendous
But enough is enough
We’d have Spring if you let us.

We’d see kids out in the yard
Playing on the swing
Flowers in full bloom
And birds that like to sing

But Spring is a lie
Instead you come the more
Your piling up and up and up
Outside my patio door

If I played a zither
I’d make this my song
Snow, snow, snow
You just don’t belong

So this I have to say
Before my mind I blow
Snow Snow Snow
You just have to go


Remember
Don’t beat your spouse or kick the dog
Don’t make the children cry
Don’t shoot the guy or hurt your mom
Instead there’s this to try

Write a poem
In a blog.

When life beats you down and all is wrong
When your hair is falling out
When the job is gone and your dead broke
Don’t pout or even shout

Write a poem
In a blog

Mental health drivel by DR John

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
Tommy UK left Nancy’s with the coin in one hand and his rock in the other without the slightest idea of what to do next. He knew next to nothing about leprechauns. He was not at all sure how to make his rock work . But he had promised Nancy he would end the curse and get things back to normal. Now he was thinking that he might just have promised something he wasn’t really ready to do. However if he could figure it out he felt sure that helping somebody came under the proper use of the rock. So he was safe there.
So he went home to his computer and found out everything he could find about leprechauns working late into the night. He began to put together a plan .
The rumors concerning Petrovich and the most horrible driblet ever keep growing. Somebody said the next driblet would predict not only the end of Pigeon Falls but the end of the earth. As of this point, of course, it is only a rumor.
Wrap UP
I started the day by picking up the loose ends for St. Mark's website left from yesterday. Then I started visiting blogs. I visited everyone on my link list and left comments where there were new entries. That took a long, long time. During that time my sister Dawn called. Now I need a breathing treatment. Explorer doesn't seem to be allowing comments on this post on some computers. You can go down to the next entry and leave a comment.
GBYA
***************************************

23 Comments:

Blogger Finding Pam said...

Dr. John, What a wonderful voice you have and I liked the recitation of your poem. Just think of the beautiful spring days that will soon abound. I enjoyed the video as well. Wishing you snow free days ahead.

I hope that Pigeon Falls does not end. Rumors are awful and should be ignored.

Have a great day.

4:54 AM  
Blogger Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Hi ya Dr. John, Hope all is well other than the persistent snow. I fully subscribe to your poem therapy. Singing is also good for our mental health though less so for those around us.

By coincidence, my latest post is also a poem. Mental stress relief.

4:56 AM  
Blogger Jinksy said...

Write a poem in a blog- wonderful advice! X

4:57 AM  
Blogger Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

I just love your blog Dr. John. My Dad who died in 1976 was a Baptist Minister. This blog brought back many, many memorie's for me....all good ones.
I love the way you praise our Lord in you posts!!
I will definatly be back.
Take good care, God bless you sir and.......

Steady On
Reggie Girl

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such good therapy, especially for those cold snowy days.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Gattina said...

OK ! I will write a poem on my blog instead of beating my dog, lol ! You have a real nice voice and an easy accent for me to understand. Because sometimes Americans squeeze their words and eat half of them up !

8:47 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

*clap clap clap* YAY!!! YAAAAAAY!!!! Oh I LOVE your drivel! It's even better than my own drivel! (did you ever read my Insanity Prevails?) It's at my old website -- still up - but untouched in ages! Blogs are sO much easier! Anyway... I really did LOVE hearing you recite your drivel! I honestly expected your voice to sound weak and somewhat frail -- but you still sound QUITE robust! Oh I bet you are just a spectacular preacher! I sO wish I could have heard you preach!

Petrovich is NOT scaring me with his stupid driblets ANYmore! EVEN if they foretell the end of time! But I can't wait to find out Tommy's plan for the leprechaun. Though I do HOPE he only intends to return the coin to him.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I will come get all that snow from you Dr. John!!!

I loved your poems! You are just the greatest...I hope you know that!

Great job and it had me laughing and saying, Oh...poor Dr. John!

9:20 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Omigosh, did you write that poem, Dr. John? It's very good! You do indeed have super-powers.

I love your new avatar. :-)

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As for me,
I agree.
Snow,
Can go.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

I no longer need my meds.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Carletta said...

It's a wonderful poem Dr. John. Poetry should be read aloud - you have a perfect voice for that!

Have a wonderful day!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

I've also had enough of the snow for this Winter. Liked how you read the poems for us, it added to have your voice. What a great idea you had.

Blessings to you and Betty

12:13 PM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

Dr. John you ARE a poet, you just don't know it! :)

12:28 PM  
Blogger juliana said...

oh, great!
you are welcome to write as much drivel as you wish in a blog and recite it so wonderfully.

as for snow, it should go!

1:28 PM  
Blogger Jientje said...

I enjoyed both your poems, and the perfect way you recite them.
You are a true poet.

2:24 PM  
Blogger tsduff said...

The best thing about my blog today was your comment ;) Your poems were entertaining, and I learned some new big words.

I'm so grateful
For no snow
On my driveway
Cold to blow

Thankful for
The brightening glow
Of yellow goldfinches
High and low

Like shards of sun
They flit and fly
Absorbed I watch
Forget to cry

I loved your movies ;)

3:32 PM  
Blogger Thom - - Dr. John said...

On this the birthday of another with Dr as a prefix to his name I couldn't help but hear a bit of him in your reading.

Exceptionally done sir!

6:00 PM  
Blogger Travis Cody said...

That's good advice. I have yelled at my cat in the past when I was frustrated with something. And then I feel like a heel because he looks so pathetic.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

Your two videos made me smile. And I agree with you: The snow has to go.

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo, Bravo!! Your poems are even better when listening to you recite them - your voice is perfect (no wonder, since you wrote them). :)

Thank you for finding me, however that came about, because now I have discovered a new blog to frequent - yours!

Your saying for today is spot-on. ;)

5:59 AM  
Blogger Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

You are quiet the poet Dr J =)

6:21 AM  
Blogger aims said...

I loved your poem - and I agree with the above - you have a beautiful speaking voice.

Another good job done!

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home