Thursday, August 14, 2008

Controlling Cow C02

Link of the Day
My Walk

Saying for the Day:

We could have saved the Earth but we were too damned cheap. ~Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
Picture of the Day:
The Days Wrap UP :
The little dragon is also one of Pennie's. It helps here counsel families. She and Betty took it to VBS last night and when Pennie wasn't looking it pushed that poor bird out of its nest. She just has to do something to teach it how to act in public.This morning I put the VBS pictures from yesterday up on the St. Mark's Website. Then I cleared the SD card so Betty can take lots of pictures tonight. Then I baked another loaf of banana bread. ( I like banana bread) Then Betty and I went to the basement and worked on the layout. We are ready to put plaster tomorrow.I visited all my links and did a little dragon hunting. I had an argument with the blue dragon who does not like the elf tale I plan on telling tomorrow. But Monkey likes it.Now I need a breathing treatment.'
GBYA

*********************************
Controlling Cow CO2


For those of you who stay awake nights worrying about Global Warming and seeing no way to cut back on the CO2 emissions I bring you this update on the war.
You probably know that the biggest CO2 offender is not man but cattle. Cattle put out more CO2 than all the cars on the road.
Now, of course, if we all became vegetarians we could cut those herds down to size( except for dairy herds and India based cows which are somebodies grandpa) and make a real impact on CO2 production. Unfortunately that is not likely to happen in my life time or yours.
So the good news is that science has set out to alter the cow. This cow war has two fronts.
1. Genetically altar the cow so it will put out less CO2.
2. Altar the cows diet so it puts out less CO2.
One of the problems both methods have is how do you measure the amount of CO2 being produced and expelled as flatulence. You could have a human follow the cow around with special plastic bags but this is not very practical. So the researchers at Argentina's National Institute of Agricultural Technology rigged a large plastic tank to the cow's back, with a tube to the backside to directly capture each emission. This creative idea is being borrowed by scientists in other countries as well.
So you can sleep a little better knowing that in the War on CO2 the battle moves ahead on the cow front.

News from Pigeon Falls
-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal.
The District Superintendent for the Methodist Church came to Pigeon Falls yesterday. He sat down with the ladies group and worked through their problem. Nobody know just what he said but the end result was at the next pasty sale they will make ten pasties with the new recipe and the rest with the old. If people like the new recipe they will increase the number the next time they have a sale. This seems like such a simple solution but by the time the Superintendent came the ladies were feeling guilty and looking for some way to get out of this crisis without wrecking the Church. This will do it.
The first performance of the talent show was held last night. The place was sold out. Everything went off pretty well. Vicki East started the program with two new songs she wrote for the night. One was entitled “ A Whale of a Tale”. This was followed by some of the things that have been done every year forever. The show stopper came in the middle. The house lights went down. Trumpets were heard. Then three trapezes dropped from the ceiling and a light came up on a lady in a green jump suit on a platform She pulled the first trapeze to her and then swung out and did a double turn to the next and a triple turn to the one after. Then she reversed and came back. People cheered. Then she slid down a rope on the side , went to the middle and bowed. Only then did they realize it was the Mayor. Then they stood up and really cheered.
Tommy UK and Tammy came on near the end. Tammy’s puppet was a dragon and Tommy UK’s was a White Rabbit. The two puppets got into an argument over weather the whale was real or not. Then suddenly the dragon said “ I don’t have to listen to you because everybody knows you’re a hoax. The place broke up.
Everybody said it was the best talent show ever.

12 Comments:

Blogger Dragonstar said...

WOW! What a show! Wish I'd been there.

3:58 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Did everyone cry when Vicki East sang? Dont they always cry when she sings?

5:03 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Dr. J... I know that your daughter is a wOnderful person - but her disciplinary measures when it comes to her dragons seems to be somewhat ... lacking. Is there NO Dragon Training classes in your neighborhood she could take?

*shakes head sadly* I somehow doubt that THIS was what God had in mind when He built His perfect cow. Poor cows...

I am still AMAZED over the mayor last night! Wasn't she SOMETHING! WHAT a surprise!!! And I thought Vicki's song was great! Very cute! They should make it the Pigeon Falls Anthem! The puppet show was FUNNY - I think it had something to do with the expression on that dragon puppet's face too -- don't you?

5:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My hubby and I have discussed the cow fart problem many times. Glad someone is measuring it...don't know if it will change anything though! Hilarious.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Lanny said...

Cows, ya can't trust them, one tried to kill me once. I'm sure they are all killers, even grandpa in India. They deserve to wear a gas bag.

I'm glad the superintedent was able to help the ladies save face and that pasties will be enjoyed by all.

The dragon looks mighty pleased with herself. But will the bird be willing to hatch the egg she lays?

Have a groovy day!

8:25 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

i suppose the dragon can be forgiven being an endangered species

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay Tommy and Tammy -- it is good to be able to laugh over the things that once instigated anger.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Carver said...

I love the Vonnegut quote. The dragon is adorable and the talent show sounds like fun.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Never turn your back on a dragon!

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that sneaky little dragon! Enjoy...

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your comment on the boys' first day. I am realizing how blessed I am to have them. Not that I didn't realize it before, but now that co-workers my own age (30) are having their children and I am realizing that I can't have any more. I am blessed to have them to begin with.

That CO2 story is as funny as the government study in to moose farts.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

banana bread? with nuts? ummmmmmm......

what a cute little dragon!

hope your having a great summer!!!! Tell Betty hi for me!

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home