Friday, July 25, 2008

A Fallen God

Saying for the Day: If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out. ~George Brett, 1986

I don't know what it's like where you are but here in Wisconsin the main religion is football.
The cathedral is the stadium.
The God is the quarterback.
On A Sunday ,when there is a service at the Cathedral, three kinds of worshipers arrive .
The fanatics, who paint their face and bodies Green and Gold.
The highly committed who wear cheese on their heads.
And the ordinary worshipers who cook in the parking lot.
At the start of the service when the God emerges the worshiping congregation screams and leaps and praises him.
For as long as one can remember God in Wisconsin has been called Brett Favre.
It was this God that lead them to the greatest of worship experiences The Super Bowl.
True in the last few years he hadn't taken them there but some allowances are made to the greatest of Gods.
But then he resigned.
There was sorrow.
God had left. What could they do.
They could remember and sell books about him.
They could proclaim how wonderful he was.
They could cry in their beer.
All would have been well but then Brett did an un-Godlike thing.
He decided he didn't want to be retired and he whined about it.
God's don't whine.
My friend Ralph sent this reaction to the fallen God.






But don't worry a new God is rising.
News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal . With Pigeon Falls Days coming soon the Liar’s Club is trying to get through the last of the local entries so they will know how many finalists they have for the week of the celebration. In the last few days they have heard six stories. Most of them got scores below an average of 8 but one looks like he made it to the finals. Mr. Warren Woodstuck from Applegrove, Idaho who is here visiting his brother tried his hand at story telling and got a 9.1. Here is his story:
You know I like Alli Sorry. She is an old friend. But I have to tell you that when she talked to this group last week she just plain lied. That’s right she lied. She said the White Rabbit spent the winter with her. Well I know that’s not true. You might wonder how I know it’s true and of course I’m going to tell you. You see the other day I was up by the old railroad siding looking for blueberries. There are great blueberries there this time of year. Not those tasteless berries that you get in the grocery store. No sir, these are real blueberries. I had just picked my patch cleaned , had a half a bucket, and was looking for another patch when I saw it.
There it was, big as life, a three foot white rabbit. The train was just going through and it was waving and winking at the passengers. If only I had my camera I could have taken some great pictures. But you can’t take pictures with a blueberry bucket. So I just watched. I noticed that in one hand it had a handkerchief which it was waving at the train. It was almost as if it wanted it to stop. If you had asked me at that moment if the White Rabbit was real I was have sworn up and down it was.
But as the train left something strange happened. There was this grinding sound and suddenly one arm, the waving one, just fell off. That’s right it fell off. One minute it was waving the next the arm was on the ground and there was this metal thing with gears and electrical wires sticking out where the arm had been.
Well I rushed over and went to pick up the arm but all I got on the first try was the handkerchief. Before I could bend over again to pick it up this girl comes running at me and shouting and she has a baseball bat. I think she belongs to some kind of club. She was followed by some kid named Tommy something or other. Well I wasn’t about to fight a girl with a bat so I ran to the woods , spilling half my berries on the way.
But instead of running on I stayed and watched. The two of them went right to work. They put the arm back on and the Tommy fella knew just what wires to connect where. He tightened something and then stepped back and tried a remote control he had. Dang, if the thing didn’t work perfect. It looked so real again. Then they moved it to one of those railroad things . I think its used for track repair. And away they went.
I do want you to believe me and I have with me the handkerchief I took from the rabbit. You will notice the large oil spot it got when the arm came off. You can be sure it is the rabbits because it had a little ducky sewn on the corner. I’d have brought you some blueberries as well but my wife made what was left into a pie.
*******

Today's link-Anonymous Agnes
In the morning I scanned pictures and sorted them. I finished in the afternoon. Heard that Brett was coming to Packer training camp. Life changes so fast. I visited all my links. Betty and i tried to read the dates on the bottom of Barbie dolls to put them on E-Bay. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

My old H0 layout from the parsonage in Crystal Falls.

  • 10 Comments:

    Blogger Melli said...

    Boy! Liars just ABOUND in Pigeon Falls! And they are sO darned GOOD at it! Seems like you can't believe anything ANYBODY says in that town!

    5:02 AM  
    Blogger Stacy said...

    Favre?? I thought this god's name was Roethlisberger. It is in my neck of the woods, anyway.

    6:14 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Your picture of Favre portrays the undignified perception of the Packers' God ... too bad things are going this way.
    Many people who retire... me, as a retired trucker ... agonize over missing the job they loved & even think about going back.
    LOIS

    6:51 AM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    We are gearing up for the Texans, though we don't have "God" on our side. We shall see. Those pictures remind me of my Dickens Village which I, sadly, don't have room for here.

    7:37 AM  
    Blogger LoieJ said...

    I'm a former cheesehead. Well, my high school band even marched during halftime at a GB Packer game in GB. They had a different God then. Then I moved and became a V fan. Now I don't care. I don't even know the name of the V gods anymore.

    You'd think Favre would "get it." Since he doesn't have the courage and insight to get it, he really is over the hill. I'm glad to hear that they aren't caving in.

    7:37 AM  
    Blogger Janets Planet said...

    So Favre & the Packer organization never had a clue that he would have second thoughts? You would think they would have addressed that in his contract when he retired.

    I think someone needs to check school attendance record for Tommy to see if they coincide with the Rabbit appearance. Unless he has a really long range remote control.

    7:49 AM  
    Blogger Alpha Dude said...

    That's okay.
    Peyton Manning is still playing.

    Blessings.

    9:45 AM  
    Blogger Family Man said...

    I don't know maybe he thinks he has not made enough money to live comfortable yet. I'd settle for one year of his salary

    11:19 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I still love Brett even though he whined. He's so much better than the God of Denver - John Elway.

    3:12 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It is just as poignant as what life would be like if we used our Bible as much as we use cell phones.

    4:03 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home