Monday, July 28, 2008

Crazy Eight Meme

Saying for the day: What we see depends mainly on what we look for. ~John Lubbock

Crazy Eights Meme
(borrowed from Quilly who stole it from Jules

8 Things I Have a Passion For

1.) God
2.) Betty
3.) reading
4.) blogging
5.) grand children
6.) bread making
7.) playing with trains
8.) life

8 Things I would Like to do Before I Die

1.) Visit Finland
2.) take another train ride
3.) finish the train layout
4.) own a descent camera
5.) preach one more sermon
6.) publish 2000 blogs
7.) pay off the mortgage
8.) have a Lanyon family reunion

8 Things I Say A Lot

1.) excuse me
2.) Thanks
3.) What?
4.) Huh?
5.) My mother said there would be years like this.
6.) Let’s play canasta
7.) Where is the ……..?
8.) I love you.

8 Books I Have Read Recently

1.) Bible
2.) Classic Toy Trains
3.) The Runes of the Earth– Stephen R. Donaldson
4.) Wrath of a Mad God-Raymond E. Feist.
5.) I am America and So Can You– Stephen Colbert
6.) Knife of Dreams– Robert Jordan
7.) Flight of the Nighthawks– Raymond E. Feist
8.) Into a Dark Relm– Raymond E. Feist

8 Movies I Have Seen more than once

1.) Star Wars (A New Hope)
2.) Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back
3.) Star Wars - Return of the Jedi
4.) Dicken’s Christmas Carol
5.) The Greatest Fourth of July Ever
6.) It’s a Wonderful Life
7.) A Christmas Story
8.) The Wizard of Oz

News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. The town Council put out the final schedule for this year’s Pigeon Days.
It as follows:( Changes in red) ( note a large contribution was made to the Pigeon Days fund allowing a reduction in entry fees.
August 25-Pigeon Calling Contest-$5.00 entry fee-$1000 prize. (To win pigeon must land on some part of your body)
August 26-Pasty eating contest-$ 5.00 entry fee-$100 prize. ( pasties are free.)
August 1-5 Art on the Lake of the Loon’s Shore - local artists and others share their art .
August 14 - 16-Local Variety Show– 5.00 a ticket
August 17- Pigeon Queen Contest- Masonic Hall
August 18- 4k Yellow Brick Road run $4.00 to enter -Everyone gets a "I ran on the yellow brick road sweatshirt. Winner gets I reached the Emerald City sweatshirt.
August 17- Community church day- Pastor's exchange pulpits
August 11-17 Old Time week-Local people dress up in the clothes of 90 years ago.
August 16– Spouse carrying contest.
August 23- Pigeon Day Parade- Pigeon Day song by Vicki East
August 28-Potato Judging-Potato Farmer of the Year to be named
August 30-Big Race Day-three Legged Races, Potato sack races, wheelbarrow races and others
Other activities to be announced
This was the year that Tommy UK and Tammy had planned on entering the three legged race but since they aren’t talking to each other that may not happen now. The rest of the Tommy Club which is caught in the middle is trying to get them to sit down and talk things out. But each feels hurt by the other and neither is in a very forgiving mood. Tammy says this is all Tommy UK’s fault and he is just too bullheaded to apologize. Tommy UK says that Tammy has insulted him and called him an idiot and if anyone should apologize it’s her. So despite the efforts of their friends no reconciliation seems likely.
Tommy TW has finished his book and is into the rewrite stage. He is also working on a new title. Nancy thinks this is even better than the first book but then she is married to the guy and what would you expect her to think?
Nancy’s poltergeist has been strangely quiet for the last couple of weeks. Nancy hopes this means it has gone away and won’t be back. Although if you really push her she has to admit she kind of misses it.
******
Today's Link-Cranky Epistles
I started the day with normal oxygen. Wow! In the morning we worked on the things for the announcement tomorrow of who won the writer's contest. I started getting things ready for the big Friday change to this blog. I tried to take an hour and watch a soap ( I am not an addict) . The Packer management broke in and took twenty five minutes to tell us they were talking to Favre. They could have said that in a minute. Then I got the program back and my sister called. I had to decide to watch the program or talk to her. I talked to her ( see I'm not an addict). After that I spent the afternoon reading. Then I visited my links. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
Yesterday's Block A Thon Pictures

  • 12 Comments:

    Blogger Janets Planet said...

    I forgot what story Tommy TW was working on. Murder in the Sauna, Murder in a Small Town, Murder in a Museum -- which by the way, what ever happened to the museum? Petrovich's wing ever get finished?

    4:22 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What is a blockathon?

    Come make your Punny Monday guess.

    Tommy and Tammy will marry someday.

    5:28 AM  
    Blogger Melli said...

    Oh WOW! We did the same meme on the same day! I totally forgot I have a passion for LIFE! *rolls eyes*... and you only want to preach ONE more sermon? You can come to MY church and preach! (or is there rules about crossing synod lines????) Forgive me - I'm still learning!

    I always LOVE the Pigeon Day Parade! It's so much fun to see the costumes the kids come up with! And some of those floats are REALLY creative!

    6:37 AM  
    Blogger Lori's Minute said...

    The Wizard of Oz was on last night and Luke watched it...last year her wasn't interested but this year he wanted to watch the whole thing.

    8:09 AM  
    Blogger Voegtli said...

    Now I feel comfortable. If this meme has started turning "around", I won't feel shy to steel it also.

    8:41 AM  
    Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

    Wonderful answers Dr John, I hope you get to preach one more sermon and get to ride that train.

    8:56 AM  
    Blogger Carletta said...

    Came by to catch up with you today and I learned a lot about from the meme.
    I see a passion for bread making - you are full of surprises.
    The photos look like a great day was had at the blockathon!

    Here's hoping you get to preach that sermon!
    Blessings Dr. John.

    10:23 AM  
    Blogger juliana said...

    ha, you couldn't resist borrowing that meme :)
    enjoyed some more bits of you...

    10:31 AM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    Sounds like a good start on a "bucket list". Pigeon Days sounds a lot like the Mosquito Festival in Clute, Tx.

    11:01 AM  
    Blogger Dragonstar said...

    Looks to me that Pigeon Falls gives better value than Dungloe - here it costs €5.00 just to enter the Bonny Baby competition!

    12:19 PM  
    Blogger Family Man said...

    I hope you get to preach that one more sermon. Heck you could even do it as a video and spread it across the internet. I for one would love to watch it.

    Hope all is Well
    ~Family Man

    1:36 PM  
    Blogger jmb said...

    Nice to find out more about you Dr John.
    I love you. That should be in everyone's 8 things they say a lot. Sadly it is not.

    12:09 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home