Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Contest

Today's Link
Rinkly Rimes

Today's Saying
Poets are like magicians, searching for magical phrases to pull rabbits out of people's souls. ~Glade Byron Addams

Today's Picture
Pick a Priceless prize

Today we go back to an old contest I used to run for a week at a time.
But now I have decided to do a short version.
To enter is simple .
1. You go to Tuesday's carefully hand picked Today's Link.
2. You read the blog.
3. You leave a witty, intelligent, or passable comment containing the words :

" Dr. John sent me"

You could say for example " Dr John sent me from his fantastic Fortress just to visit you"
or
Dr John sent me to find a real blog instead of that thing he writes.
or
Dr. John sent me for some water but I got lost and ended up here.

In other words be as plain or as creative as you wish.

Tomorrow I will go to the assigned blog. I will collect the names of everybody who left the Dr. John sent me or its equivalent in a comment and put them on 4" by 1/2 " piece of paper. These will be folded twice and placed in a Mayonnaise jar that might once have been on Funk and Wagnall's porch . Then we will shake them up and Betty will draw out one of the names. That person wins a priceless prize.

Now the prize.

This is the start of a new contest so we have outdone ourselves

You have a choice of :

One full gram of saffron ( World's most expensive spice-$3000 a pound)


OR

A Silver plated collector's spoon from Scotland ( Priceless)


OR


A Laughing box -You can have laughter wherever you go ( Priceless)


OR


The Platinum Edition of Mahjongg ( Note not the gold or silver edition but far better)


With prizes like that how can you not enter.

Now just a word about Rinkly Rimes . Here you find poetry written by a great 78 year old woman. She writes very good and sometimes very funny poems. But she doesn't get many comments. So I thought it would be nice to give her a day with a lot of comments. You might even discover you like her style and go back from time to time. You can get to today's link by clicking HERE.

Have fun.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
Eino’s Engineer arrived and examined the trench. “ It is definitely not a sink hole” he said. “ It is much to even and has a ramped end. It looks like it was carved out by a bulldozer driver that really knows how to use his equipment.”
Eino then asked “ Where is the sand that he bulldozed out? And how do you sneak a loud piece of equipment like that in and out of town without being seen?”
The engineer frowned and answered” I haven’t the foggiest idea but I am sure it isn’t a sink hole Why don‘t you have it filled in again and post a guard. Then if it comes back you will know. And that‘s the best advice I can give you.”
So this morning Eino sat down with Mayor Trumble and together they decided to have the hole filled in and then have the area watched all night. Eino got one of the men from his repair shop to agree to watch tonight. It took three truckloads of dirt to fill the hole.

Wrap UP
It has been a very dull day. Betty got some flowers planted. I got some blogs visited and comments left. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
******************************************************************

16 Comments:

Blogger anthonynorth said...

Looks like an interesting comp. As a regular commenter on Rinkly Rimes, i fully agree with you. A fun blog, and worth a visit.

2:50 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

What a fantastic idea Dr. John :)

5:13 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Oh boyyyyyyyy.... here we go again! When Pigeon Falls tries to have "something watched" REALLY unexplainable stuff starts happening! Doesn't matter if it's on video or just people watching... Probably should have put 10 or 12 watchers on this job - just one is SURE to fall asleep!

Those ARE some IMPRESSIVE priceless prizes! My mother used to have an ivory mahjongg set. We don't know what happened to it - but we suspect one of my sisters pawned it. I used to play with those little ivory tiles when I was small... I've always wanted to learn to actually PLAY the game! LOL!

5:50 AM  
Blogger starbender said...

wow-a spice @ $3,000 a gram. I need to be growing that stuff.

Sounds like a really big hole. I think it would be hard to stay up all night and watch it. I would need someone to talk to.

6:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow very nice prizes. This will be interesting.

As long as Willie doesn't watch the hole I think they might have a chance.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Lou said...

I don't want a prize. I just came by for the laughs.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous quilly said...

Oh dear. I do hope Enio isn't too fond of his employee.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

I commented on Rinkly Rimes' cobalt post. She does have neat stuff there.

I think Eino will have a surprise in the morning.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Was over to say Hello and ingratiate myself Dr John. $3,000.00 a Gram, Hmmm, and you can give your Saffron Buns away.

A Blessed Day is wished for you and Betty.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Baron's Life said...

Excellent idea...

3:20 PM  
Blogger Carver said...

I love the saying for the day. You post such good ones.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Heff said...

I'm in. If I win, i'd like the Saffron, please !

4:04 PM  
Blogger Alastair said...

Thank you Dr John for this
I won't go so far as to leave a kiss
But a verse I've left on rinkly rhyme
And found the trip was worth the time!

Thanks for comments, as always, on New Kid - much appreciated, and greatly encouraging!

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Alice Audrey said...

No way I'd guard a hole - filled in or not - no matter how curious. I'd set up a camera. :)

5:03 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

A POUND people! Sheeeeeesh....

Why did you allow yourself to have such a DULL day? You and Betty should have gone OUT for lunch! Some place NEW! Or for a walk/scoot in the park! Or... FLY fishing! LOL! Have some fun!

5:16 PM  
Blogger Maude Lynn said...

I always visit and comment on the Today's Link!

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home