Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Torture Never

Today's Link
Just Another Day

Today's Saying
Do not do an immoral thing for moral reasons. ~Thomas Hardy

Today's Picture
Ella checking out my front yard

Last week on this blog I suggested we should try the Bush administration for its use of torture.
I suggested this so that we clearly define our laws so as to keep our agencies from torturing in the future.
I made a bad assumption.
I assumed everyone was against torture.
I was wrong.
From the comments I got there are those nice people who think it is okay to torture as long as we torture bad people.
You know the kind of people who blow things up and kill innocent people.
They are bad people so torture them.
Or we should use torture to protect ourselves .
You know to keep people from blowing us up in the future.
So we torture an innocent man or two. We are protected.
They shouldn’t have looked guilty.
WE are more important than them.
The truth is when we do bad things for good reasons we are no different than them.
They blew us up because they felt Allah wanted them to .
They saw it as a good thing.
We tortured people because we were scared.
We saw it as a good thing.
When will doing bad things in the name of good stop?
There are countries now where people rape and murder and see it as a good thing.
They are getting revenge.
White sheeted righteous whites kill blacks and see it as a good thing.
Bad things done in the name of good are still bad things.
We as a country should be able to say that to the world.
We should be able to say that we are scared but we won’t torture.
We will respect the rights of every human being.
WE who have tried to set the example for the world of freedom need to set an example of morality.
Yes it is risky.
Yes we might be spared some future tragedy if we tortured the right person.
But in the end we are part of creating a better world.
The other way is even riskier.
We torture.
The family remembers.
The people remember.
Their hate for us grows.
They find a way to hurt us.
So we torture more.
The cycle goes on an on.
No good can come out of evil.
Just more evil.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
With reports of animal disappearances still pouring in Constable Mike had a meeting with Eino, Tommy Uk, Herman, and Mrs. Trumble. They discuss Petrovich’s newest driblet.
It would seem to apply to the present situation.
So they asked “ What is meant by Past and Future collide?
What rope?
Who has this power?
How is Pigeon Falls threatened?
Who is laughing?”
They have no answers only questions.
Tommy UK fingers his ring all the while the discussion goes on. He knows that he has power. He knows Herman has power. Won’t that be enough.
Eino suggests that they may now be up against the Man in Black. That up until now he has just been testing us..
Tommy doesn’t think so. He thinks the man in black seems to be more of an observer.
Mrs. Trumble says she is going to contact Homeland Security and see if they can get some troops in Pigeon Falls before the confrontation. If there is a power struggle they might tip the balance.
The dragons are another factor are they friend or foe?
The entire group is sure the battle is coming.

Wrap UP
I had a great day. My oxtgen was up. I got the rest of the Church website material up. Went out to lunch in still a new place with Melli, "Mom" and Betty. Went to Best Buy with the same people. Came home and showed the train layout to Melli and "Mom". Then we played two last games of canasta. Melli won one and Betty the other. Now Melli is leaving and we won't see her again in this life. It has been a wonderful time. I never thought I would ever meet a blogger from that far away in person. She has such a laugh. We didn't getto know her for very long and already we miss her. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
*****************************************************************

13 Comments:

Anonymous quilly said...

After my mother died, my father remarried. I was 5. The woman he married used to tape my hands behind my back, tape my mouth closed and lock me in a dark closet. She did this because I was naughty.

I am certain every rational person who read those words is horrified. That is cruelty beyond belief -- torture if you will. How could that horrible woman do such a thing?

She could do it, because that was the way she was disciplined as a child. She was only behaving as she was taught. She would have been shocked to be accused of abusing me. I was fed. I was clothed. I had a roof over my head, a good bed to sleep in, nice clothes, even a pet. There was no abuse in her home. She was just doing what was necessary to protect society from a misbehaving child.

Perspectives can be deceptive.

2:42 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

I don't think torture will ever be rid.

Ella seems to be enjoying herself, You have green grass, ours is still brown with snow patches.

3:56 AM  
Blogger Finding Pam said...

Quilly, I am sorry that you were tapped up and locked in a closet. That is just not right.

A lot of evil is done in the name of peace. When we know better, maybe we will do better.

5:17 AM  
Blogger Finding Pam said...

sorry, I meant to type taped.

5:19 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

Very good explanation. And it is exactly why people who are "obviously guilty" are still put on trial.

6:15 AM  
Blogger aims said...

I am so with you on this Dr. John. I'm still astounded with what your country says and does - all in the name of what?

Every time I read something about this I think of you lately. Fighting for what is right and what is moral. Say it Dr. John. Say it loud and clear! Some day - some one - will listen and make a change.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Caution/Lisa said...

I think Quilly's comment is brilliant.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Do you know how much I love pink flamingoes?????

11:00 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

Ella is getting out and about isn't she? LOL

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First I'm sorry to hear Quilly what you went through..that is terrible. But I'm sticking to my guns on this as I believe torture is not evil at all against terrorists. Anyone that does something against this country that I so love and proudly respect deserves what ever may fall their way for their actions they took. Of course there might be a few that shouldn't be and yes I'm sorry for that. Nothing is ever perfect in any society. But to gain the goods on these terrorists we have to get the information by what any means possible. They did this to us suffer the consequences. I don't believe in the torture, if that's what you want to call it, or is it child rearing like Quilly went through by all means. We have laws that are suppose to be in there to protect our young and our citizens. That to me is the difference. In order for out country to continue and not be over run or targeted by terrorists, we have to stop it by any means necessary. This will allow the subset, our laws, that we must abide by to be in place to protect the innocent like Quilly. But someone, even an American (Timothy McVeigh comes to mind) that do things to under mind our society...pay the consequences. And yes...don't mess with the USA...that's what we need to show the rest of the world. Abide by our laws, enjoy our country the way our Constitution sets out, enjoy our rights and priviliges but when you go against those and do not adhere to this your fault, not ours. You pay the consequences, whatever those consequences may be. My whole point is take care of our country so we can take care of our citizenry.

Hmmm...we are in for something big in Pigeon Falls. I can't wait for the battle

Oh Ella...you are just such a joy to watch.

11:51 AM  
Blogger butterflies said...

Adding to Thoms comment..Tim Mcveigh was tortured too.He had a terrible childhood and endured. And he was trained to kill by the army...He asked for the death sentence.
Im not condoning what he did!Ive been to the memorial in OKC and saw the damage he did and the lives he stole.
But I still do NOT believe in torture..
2 wrongs still do not make 1 right.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I do not agree with torture either. Not for any reason. Like the person above said- two wrongs don't make a right.

I'm glad you got to meet Melli and to spend a little time with her.

7:42 PM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

kobe shoes
supreme clothing
hermes handbags
moncler outlet
westbrook shoes
moncler coat
fila shoes
coach outlet online
nike air force
goyard

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home