Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Fall Flowers

Today's Saying
Gardening is about enjoying the smell of things growing in the soil, getting dirty without feeling guilty, and generally taking the time to soak up a little peace and serenity. ~Lindley Karstens



It is September without a frost and I thought I would share with you our fall flowers.



  • They turned out pretty good.
    Our great tomato experiment, shown here, turned out not so good
  • We got one useful tomato so far. The rest all had that brown stuff on the bottom.


    (Click on the Pigeon Falls Graphic for previous chapters.)

    The piano tuner and his equipment arrived on the morning milk train along with a full contingent of ghost groupies. He was taken first to the town hall and then to the back room of the museum . They wanted him to hear the piano being played but they didn't want him to see that it was being played by a ghost. He was told that people had paid to sit in on the concert and so he would have to wait until it was over. He listened to the concert and remarked that whoever was playing was a master but even such a great player couldn't hide the fact that piano needed tuning.
    When the concert was over and the ghost groupies had left then they ushered him and his equipment into the room. Under the agreement he was allowed to look at but not open the piano until he put the blindfold on. He sat down, played each key, opened his equipment case and put on the blindfold.
    The lady in charge lifted the top of the piano for him so he could get to the strings and he started.
    One hour later he finished. The piano was in perfect tune. They handed him his check. He commented that he felt like he was cheating since they had that expert there guiding him and even tuning some keys for him. He was alone in the room the entire time.

    20 Comments:

    Anonymous Dulce said...

    Dear Dr
    I love today's saying- so appropriate for your beautiful photos. I like your flowers , especially the red roses... and the story of the phantom and the piano is just the icing on the cake.
    Great post today.

    2:21 AM  
    Anonymous quilly said...

    Well, I am glad that piano is finally in tune. It's been driving me nuts!

    3:53 AM  
    Blogger loisontheweb said...

    What lovely flowers you have! (The Lutheran Church flowers here haven't been hurt by frost yet)

    4:14 AM  
    Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

    Beautiful flowers, Dr. John! Our encore azaleas are beginning their fall blossoming and our Sasanqua Camellia that blooms in October is budding like crazy.

    I need that phantom piano tuner to come by my house; his price fits right into our budget...unless I spoke too soon.

    5:13 AM  
    Blogger Rinkly Rimes said...

    You must have spirited yourself to my garden to photograph your tomatoes. I have a brown thumb!

    5:35 AM  
    Blogger Judy said...

    Glad the piano got tuned and liked today's quote. I think this was a bad year for tomatoes. I have heard so many say theirs were not good. I had some great cherry ones for salads but they did not want to ripen. Your flowers are beautiful. I love roses. Thanks for stopping by my place.

    6:00 AM  
    Blogger LoieJ said...

    I've been wondering about your tomatoes. We used the same device, and we git a few tomatoes. The deer didn't get them because they were hanging, so that part is good, but the plant started looking quite unhealthy. I read that many tomato growers had a disease sweep through their fields this summer and that probably affected home grown tomatoes because we get our plants from large commercial greenhouses.

    I'm heading east today, will drive around GB, then south to "Manti-town" where my mom is in a facility. Good thing we're going because she had a trip to the ER yesterday.

    6:07 AM  
    Blogger Finding Pam said...

    Those are great looking flowers and I liked the petunias. My tomatoes did not do anything.

    7:47 AM  
    Blogger Melli said...

    LOL! So why didn't the ghost just tune the darned thing himself??? Sheeesh! Silly ghost!

    September without frost? In the great white NORTH??? LoL! That is pretty amazing... I remember a Sept. 4th with about 3 feet of snow in Minnesota! You're flowers are beauuuuutiful! I'm so sorry about the tomato experiment...

    8:41 AM  
    Blogger Diana said...

    Interesting saying Dr. John. Funny considering I feel the closest to God when I am gardening! Beautiful flowers, you did good!
    Love Di

    8:53 AM  
    Blogger Nessa said...

    The best part of gardening is getting dirty, an excuse for adults to play in the sandbox (for me, at least.)

    All of our tomatoes were water logged this year.

    8:56 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love you flowers. Very nice. I'm glad the piano is tuned...but him in the room all by himself???

    9:38 AM  
    Blogger Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

    Loving your flowers!
    <><

    12:02 PM  
    Blogger Dulçe ♥ said...

    Come visit me again, will you?
    Sorry for this controversy, which I love... I knew you would react like this... You my knight and real Gentle Man- must understand it's not about you, but a lot about me and what we've all lived...

    3:22 PM  
    Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

    You Fall Flowers look pretty, sorry that the tomato didn't turn out as well.

    Thank You Dr John for your prayers. I think things are on the Upswing. Visit the blog to see

    3:30 PM  
    Blogger Art Is Life, Life Is Art said...

    Amazingly beautiful flowers!! :o) It's incredible that we haven't had a frost...YET!! :oP

    3:58 PM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    Those are lovely flowers Dr. John! Sorry about the tomatoes though, it wasn't the best year for them here either.

    5:38 PM  
    Blogger Gattina said...

    I am in deep grief because summer is over !!

    5:25 AM  
    Blogger Akelamalu said...

    Our roses have bloomed again!

    11:58 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    [url=http://sopriventontes.net/][img]http://tonoviergates.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
    [b]for software purchases, [url=http://sopriventontes.net/]coreldraw graphics suite x4 v14.0.0.567 keymaker only-core[/url]
    [url=http://tonoviergates.net/]cheapest place to buy software[/url] school store software can i get photoshop cs3 for a non intel mac
    office software canada [url=http://tonoviergates.net/]discounted microsoft office software[/url] cash sale software
    [url=http://sopriventontes.net/]buying software[/url] adobe acrobat 9 images are gray.
    [url=http://sopriventontes.net/]discount software sites[/url] academic reference software
    microsoft software piracy [url=http://sopriventontes.net/]Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended[/url][/b]

    5:19 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home