Friday, August 08, 2008

Breaking News?

Link of the Day
Under the News

Saying for the Day:
Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead. ~Mac McCleary
Picture of the Day:

The Days Wrap UP :
Today's picture is my contribution to Skywatch even though I don't intend to be a regular part of that activity. If you look closely at the picture you can see what might be the Goodyear blimp, or a government spy baloon watching me.Because I finished the stupid game I had time to visit all my regular links this morning and some I am thinking of adding. In the afternoon Betty and I went back to the basement. We cleaned up another area. Emptied some more boxes . Now there are two large stretches of floor that can be seen. Monday, at last, it is back to working on the layout. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
***********************
Breaking News
Yesterday I put aside my addiction to the PC game Jewel Quest II to have lunch and watch my soap.
I had so many questions.
Would Adam finally be arrested for obstruction.
Would Colby go to AA.
What will Annie do next.
These are important life changing questions.
But just as my soap began it was interrupted with this sign.
Late Breaking News.
What could possibly be important enough to interrupt my soap?
Was there another horrible act of terror?
Did somebody shoot somebody.
Was the Mayor’s house on fire?
Had some great person died?
Was a movie star arrested?
Had a cure for cancer been found?
Was the war in Iraq over and the troops coming home?
Had one of the presidential candidates decided to run no more TV adds and was giving the money to charity.
Had Hershey decided to makes its bars in America instead of Mexico.
Had Hillary come out for McCane?
Had they manipulated the DNA of an elephant so one could fly?
Had they found a cure for COPD?
What was this “ Late Breaking News”?
I sat spellbound waiting for the announcement that would change my life forever.
Then it came.
Brett Favre was going to be the Jet’s quarterback.
That was it. For that they broke into my soap.
For that they kept me from keeping tabs on Annie.
Couldn’t this have waited until the five o’clock news?
Or wait and break into the Dr. Phil Show.It was that level news.
But no they broke into my soap.
Ok, I thought, our cry baby quarterback is going to the Jets. Thank you. Now give me back my soap.
But, O! no. They couldn’t do that.
They had to spend thirty minutes telling us he was going to the Jet’s.
They had time to tell us what color shoes he would be wearing.
They explained how he no longer felt wanted in Green Bay. So what. I want to know what Annie is doing.
Of course, he had to say that even though they no longer loved him he would always love Green Bay.
Certainly he still loves Green Bay that’s the market for his books.
What a waste of thirty minutes.
I had to go to the internet and read Soap.com’s recap to find out what Annie did. That was time away from my important game.
Life is just not fair and people make no sense.

News from Pigeon Falls
-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal.
Mrs. Alias Moyer has the Methodist ladies all upset. She wants to change the pasty recipe . Now the recipe they have been using is over fifty years old. It has been perfected. You don’t change perfection. She wants to cut the meat differently and add carrots. This is not a meat pie it is a pasty. Everybody in town loves them. But Mrs. Moyer is President of the ladies group. She found this new recipe on the internet of all places. It probably has a virus. That's what Cynthia Pemberthy said. She read that everything on the internet has a virus. The next thing you know the church oven will explode. The group is divided almost evenly on the question. This could be one of those theological issues that split churches. Pigeon Falls could end up with two Methodist churches. Mrs. Smith said she thinks it says in the Bible somewhere that change is bad. God wants things to stay the same. The Bishop is coming next week to help with the problem. He will need the wisdom of Solomon.
Nancy says that she has been talking to her customers and some would like carrots in the pasty but no peas. Others felt that not only shouldn’t they add carrots but the onions should come out. Nancy thinks it is good to hear people talking about pasties instead of ghosts, dragons, whales etc.
Tommy TW sent his book off to the publisher without a title. He figures by the time they get through editing it he will have decided on one. He has a cover picture of him at the museum standing next to the White Rabbit.


10 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

I think we may watch some football this season as we should get a few of the Jets games over here.

Packers could have avoided this whole mess if they had just let Brett go somewhere else in the first place.

5:17 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

FORTUNATELY for you your soap will "recap" the entire week for you today - being Friday ... and leave you with a cliff hanger until Monday t'boot! But the really GREAT thing is, even if your television BLEW UP and your store was OUT of televisions and the truckers went on strike and no more televisions could be delivered for oh, say 6 or 8 months... you would STILL be able to tune in the NEXT time a television was available to you, and you would STILL find out what happened yesterday!!! It's the MAGIC of soaps! LOL! I spent 2 years addicted to them when Amanda was a baby. Then I went back to work and swore to NEVER watch another soap again! Who knew that 20 years later I would swear off television altogether!? BUT... if I pass a TV store window at Soap time, I can STILL see Erica or Vicki - and they haven't changed a bit! (maybe a wrinkle or two... but tv covers that so well!) I DO sometimes wonder if Luke & Laura are still an item...

Ohhhhhhh MAN! Methodists messin' with the pasties! Makes me GLAD I'm a Lutheran! I do NOT want to be mixed up in THAT!!! (I think they they should make low fat turkey pasties!)

6:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I could tell you what happened but that would spoil the cliffhanger. Of course I know how you feel since AMC was not on the other day due to coverage of the "storm". ESPN should develop a sports soap staring Brett Favre. Oh wait, they have...the latest episode of "Favre said, they said" was just on.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Like Melli Said Dr John ~ You can watch the recap today or wait a few days and the story will still be the same. For some reason time is at a Stand Still on the World of Soaps.

Remember "Another World" and the time the Gardner Svend kidnapped Rachel and kept her in the Tool Shed for what seemed to be six years. It took Mac that long to find her, and how many times did he walk past the Tool Shed???

I am glad I don't watch the Soaps anymore. I don't watch all that much television at all. Maybe 5 hours out of the week.

A Blessed Weekend is wished for you and Betty

1:59 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I like the saying of the day! Will you come clean up my basement when you have finished? How do we accumulate so much over the years?

8:42 PM  
Blogger BigDadGib said...

I loved the saying of the day...
As a pro driver, it hit home.

Great post,
Gib

11:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John -- I laughed all the way through this whole post. I loved Melli's and Bill's comments. Frustration is fun when it's somebody else's!

My package arrived today. I love the plaque ant the gift certificate fits perfectly. Thank you.

12:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay wait...you watch a soap? Really? This cracks me up.

12:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on getting unpacked; I've been here some years & still have not properly unpacked. THANK HEAVENS I HAVE MY "GUNTA SHED"... That's where I keep the stuff that I'm GUNTA sort out someday!

1:59 AM  
Blogger Neoma said...

I never could watch soap operas....they were, well you know how they are......enough drama in my life, I guess. haha

good to hear you are getting your boxes unpacked......when you are done, I have a few that could use unpacking, and a few that need to go to the dump. They say if you haven't used it in six months, you don't need it.

2:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home